Egypt Buys Further Wheat, Has Six Months Stock
Published Sunday, 08 July 2012 18:05 | Written by Amwal Al Ghad
Egypt's state wheat buyer said on Sunday it had surpassed its local procurement target by 700,000 tons and had a strategic supply of local and imported wheat to last until January.
"Our target was 3 million tons and we did much better than that so we are currently in a comfortable position and in no rush to enter the international market," Nomani Nomani, vice chairman of the General Authority for Supply Commodities (GASC) told Reuters.
Egypt procured only 2.6 million tons of local wheat last year compared with the 3.7 million tons it procured this year.
Nomani said he was watching pricing movements on international grain markets carefully to pick a suitable time to resume imports, but said it was not likely GASC would seek wheat for August shipment.
Most Popular »
- Egypt’s Main Gauge Nears 5430 Pts Powered By Seven Kidnapping Release News
- Egypt’s Central Bank Offers US$ 800 Mln At Exceptional FX Auction
- Crowell & Moring Advises ADIB Egypt On Landmark Islamic Finance Deal
- IFE Not Notified Officially With New Bancassurance Regulations
- Hamas Felicitates Egyptians On Releasing The Abducted Soldiers