Appeal of Red Sea island deal ruling adjourned to 3 July
Published 2016-06-27 08:30:53| Amwal Al Ghad English
Egypt's High Administrative Court hearing Sunday a government appeal on a Saudi-Egyptian border demarcation case postponed the session until 3 July to study a recusal request presented by lawyers opposed to the deal.Earlier on Sunday, lawyers who argued against the 8 April agreement with Saudi Arabia requested the panel of the High Administrative Court hearing the government's appeal to void the deal recuse itself. The judges adjourned Sunday's session to prepare a response to the lawyers' request. Later in the day, the judges decided to refer the lawyers request to a separate panel within the Administrative Court to review the legal basis for the lawyers' request and issue recommendations on whether to step down or not. On Sunday, the judges heard opening arguments from government lawyers who had submitted the appeal.
- China can keep growth stable this year and in the long term: PM
- Appeal of Red Sea island deal ruling adjourned to 3 July
- Egypt parliament approves Saudi Fund $1.5 bln Sinai development loan
- US Kerry heads to London amid Brexit storm
- US Congress delegation to meet al-Sisi for security talks
- Iraqi forces retake Islamic State holdout in Falluja
- Britain's EU commissioner, finance chief Hill, resigns
- EU referendum re-run petition signed by more than 2.5m Britons
- EU names Belgian to coordinate Brexit negotiations
- Israel, Turkey to suspend normalisation talks Sunday
China is able to keep economic growth stable this year and in the long term, Premier Li Keqiang said on Monday. The country cannot ignore changes in the global economy as well as risks in the domestic economy, Li said during a speech at the World Economic Forum (WEF) in the northern city of Tianjin. Li reiterated that China has policy tools to cope with challenges and can step up fiscal policy support for the economy.
Iraqi forces recaptured the last district held by Islamic State militants in the city of Falluja on Sunday and the general commanding the operation declared the battle complete after nearly five weeks of fighting. Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi claimed victory over Islamic State in Falluja more than a week ago but fighting continued inside the city west of Baghdad, including in the Golan district. The offensive has been backed by a U.S.-led coalition mostly in the form of air strikes against Islamic State. "We announce from this place in central Golan district that it has been cleaned by the counter terrorism service and we convey the good news to the Iraqi people that the battle of Falluja is over," Lieutenant General Abdul Wahab al-Saidi told state TV. Flanked by jubilant fighters, some waving Iraqi flags, Saidi said a few militants were still holding out in buildings. At least 1,800 Islamic State fighters were killed in the operation to retake Falluja, and the rest had fled, he said. Government troops launched the operation on May 23 to retake Falluja, a bastion of the Sunni Muslim insurgency against U.S. forces that toppled Saddam Hussein, a Sunni, in 2003, and later against Shi'ite-led governments. Abadi said last week that the recapture of Falluja would pave the way for the military to march on Mosul, Islamic State's de facto capital. Fighting to recapture the Iraqi city has forced more than 85,000 residents to flee to overwhelmed government-run camps. The United Nations says it has received allegations of abuse of civilians fleeing the city, including by members of Shi'ite armed groups supporting the offensive. The militants seized Falluja in January 2014, six months before they declared a "caliphate" over part of Syria and Iraq.
The Market Quotes Powered By Forexpros, the Forex, Futures, and Stock Markets Portal.